

Tyler was supposed to have his first baseball practice last Monday, but Gig Harbor was hit hard with another snow storm. It was crazy, but clear enough for the boys to return to school on Tuesday (Wednesday for Connor). Their impetigo is clearing up and they are feeling much better.
The biggest thing to happen this past week was a call from Purdy Preschool. Connor has been on a waiting list for over a year and I wasn't really expecting to hear back from them. We had looked into the school last year when we were deciding on a preschool for Connor. We had not been totally happy with the Montessori when Tyler was there, so we were looking for a change. Plus, the preschool is located at Tyler's elementary school, making it much easier to have both boys going to the same school rather than driving clear across town.
Even though I had registered Connor only a week earlier at the Montessori for next year, and paid the $100 non-refundable registration fee, we decided to check out the new school. We went this past Thursday and Connor really liked it. The classrooms are much smaller and only have a maximum of 14 students, much less than the Montessori. Plus, we liked the idea that when we walked in the classroom, there were two certified teachers working with all the students, as well as a speech pathologist. Like Jim said, in the three years we have been at the Montessori with both Tyler and Connor, we had never really seen the teachers working with the children. To us, they seem like glorified babysitters. We like the idea of Connor having more structure and direction, so think the new preschool will be a better fit.
The preschool does mix special needs children with non special needs, but so does the elementary school. It is something that Connor will be exposed to throughout grade school. He's a compassionate little guy, so I think he will do fine making new friends.
We also found out that he may qualify for free preschool. I have been a little concerned about his speech. When he talks fast, he isn't pronouncing all the correct sounds. Plus, he has fluid in his ears which I think is affecting his hearing. When he talks, he sounds very stuffed up and mumbles. We are going to have him evaluated on April 24 to see if he qualifies for free preschool. I am sure they will determine that he will grow out of his speech issues, as Tyler did, but at the very least, it's nice to know there is a speech pathologist in the classroom. Even if we have to pay the tuition, it's much cheaper than the Montessori, and he will be going four days a week instead of three.
We have not told the Montessori about our decision to pull him out at the end of the year. We will wait until June because we don't want it to affect how they treat him, although I would hope they wouldn't treat him differently because he is not returning in the fall. We just feel that the new preschool will be better for Connor and that's all the really matters.
Yesterday, Laura and I took the boys to Tacoma. I had heard about a place called Hello, Cupcake!, so we decided to take the boys and check it out. There were eight different cupcakes. The boys tried vanilla with chocolate butter cream frosting. I bought one for Jim, as well as a red velvet with cream cheese frosting and coconut with butter cream (although it tasted more like cream cheese, but that's not what it said on the menu) to take home. The coconut was my favorite. So yummy! I got a couple pictures, along with some pictures of the boys after they got into my lipstick this morning. It looks more like chocolate frosting. Tyler finished off the look by putting on Grandma June's earrings. Silly boys!
The biggest thing to happen this past week was a call from Purdy Preschool. Connor has been on a waiting list for over a year and I wasn't really expecting to hear back from them. We had looked into the school last year when we were deciding on a preschool for Connor. We had not been totally happy with the Montessori when Tyler was there, so we were looking for a change. Plus, the preschool is located at Tyler's elementary school, making it much easier to have both boys going to the same school rather than driving clear across town.
Even though I had registered Connor only a week earlier at the Montessori for next year, and paid the $100 non-refundable registration fee, we decided to check out the new school. We went this past Thursday and Connor really liked it. The classrooms are much smaller and only have a maximum of 14 students, much less than the Montessori. Plus, we liked the idea that when we walked in the classroom, there were two certified teachers working with all the students, as well as a speech pathologist. Like Jim said, in the three years we have been at the Montessori with both Tyler and Connor, we had never really seen the teachers working with the children. To us, they seem like glorified babysitters. We like the idea of Connor having more structure and direction, so think the new preschool will be a better fit.
The preschool does mix special needs children with non special needs, but so does the elementary school. It is something that Connor will be exposed to throughout grade school. He's a compassionate little guy, so I think he will do fine making new friends.
We also found out that he may qualify for free preschool. I have been a little concerned about his speech. When he talks fast, he isn't pronouncing all the correct sounds. Plus, he has fluid in his ears which I think is affecting his hearing. When he talks, he sounds very stuffed up and mumbles. We are going to have him evaluated on April 24 to see if he qualifies for free preschool. I am sure they will determine that he will grow out of his speech issues, as Tyler did, but at the very least, it's nice to know there is a speech pathologist in the classroom. Even if we have to pay the tuition, it's much cheaper than the Montessori, and he will be going four days a week instead of three.
We have not told the Montessori about our decision to pull him out at the end of the year. We will wait until June because we don't want it to affect how they treat him, although I would hope they wouldn't treat him differently because he is not returning in the fall. We just feel that the new preschool will be better for Connor and that's all the really matters.
Yesterday, Laura and I took the boys to Tacoma. I had heard about a place called Hello, Cupcake!, so we decided to take the boys and check it out. There were eight different cupcakes. The boys tried vanilla with chocolate butter cream frosting. I bought one for Jim, as well as a red velvet with cream cheese frosting and coconut with butter cream (although it tasted more like cream cheese, but that's not what it said on the menu) to take home. The coconut was my favorite. So yummy! I got a couple pictures, along with some pictures of the boys after they got into my lipstick this morning. It looks more like chocolate frosting. Tyler finished off the look by putting on Grandma June's earrings. Silly boys!

Such great pictures! And do you know what that chocolate butter cream frosting reminds me of? Of course you do ; )
ReplyDeleteEwwwwww!
ReplyDeletethe fake poo?? haha
ReplyDelete